Saturday, July 27, 2013

There will aye be critics

A timely proverb from my Johannesburg friend:- 


"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage."
 The trouble is, my instinctive reaction to criticism is, 'What if they've got a point?'  So, here we have SuperSpouse who thinks I need a corset - and his male friend agrees.  

Gym trainer pees laughing

---  doesn't say much for those core muscles!


His female gym trainer, on the other hand, burst out laughing and demanded, 'YOU DIDN'T SAY THAT TO YOUR WIFE?'  But he did.  He then asked someone he knows through work.  Same age and sex as the gym trainer.  Same again: 'You told your wife WHAT?'

Septuagenarians fall off chair, Octogenarian just nods


Four hundred miles south, and with no collusion having transpired, a septagenarian couple fell off their chairs in peels of laughter.  For me, though, it was time to face my mother.  'A gym trainer?  Yes, you could do with one of them, TO GET RID OF THAT TUMMY.'  Gives it straight between the eyes, does my mum.

'And your hair is too long, you look like the wild woman of Borneo.  Get a haircut.'  Politically incorrect as well as tactless, then.


Self-portrait, July 2013
I discovered last night that - for the first time in my life - I can actually put my hair up.  Not in a bun, but an elastic band on top of my head - it didn't look too bad, though I say it myself.

All by myself, I reached a couple of decisions this morning.  I shall get a haircut.  I shall go to a top hairdresser and get an extravagant haircut, leaving my hair long, but getting some shape into it and tidying up any split ends.  I will not colour it, so it'll still be grey-streaked.  Then I'll go to the gym and see about a gym trainer.  I'm doing this so my clothes will be looser.  A short course with a gym trainer is cheaper than a new wardrobe.

And then, if my family objects to my appearance - TOUGH!  I'll have to hang out with my friends more!

No comments: