As I said before, cook to impress. This is easy and homely. Great with supermarket basic instant custard, ice-cream, or squirty cream.
2 cooking apples (makes enough for 4 people)
2 tablespoons (serving spoons) water
4 oz flour (plain or self-raising)
2 oz butter or hard margarine eg Stork
1 oz + 2 oz normal granulated sugar (for the apple and the crumble respectively)
This needs to be done in an oven, not a microwave. Turn on at 220 deg Celsius to preheat.
- Make crumble by cutting fat into little pieces then rubbing into the flour with your fingertips, so it's like breadcrumbs. If you have a pastry blender, use it. (I was married 24 years before I got mine ...)
- Stir in the 2 oz sugar.
- Set aside while you peel and slice apples.
- Put apples in casserole with water and the 1 oz sugar. Stir in sugar to disperse.
- Pour crumble mix over apples - try to keep it fairly even.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 45 mins or until browned on top.
- Save recipe to your Diigo social bookmarking account.